Thursday, March 15, 2012

The Gift of Prophecy and Marriage





"But the one who prophesies speaks to people for their strengthening, encouraging and comfort." (1 Cor. 14:3 NIV)

I believe the gift of prophecy is one of the most neglected of the spiritual gifts. Personally, I don't prophesy as often as I should. But I'm beginning to see a wonderful way in which prophecy can be used to bless others.

One of the ways in which God is teaching me to use the gift of prophecy is in my marriage. The bible says that when we prophesy, we speak comfort and encouragement to others. The most important person in my life is my wife. I want to speak comfort and encouragement to her as often as I can. I know the enemy would love to destroy my marriage. But I want to strengthen it.

One way to strengthen your marriage is to speak prophetically to your spouse.

We spend a lot of time with our husbands and wives and say a lot of things to them over the course of a day. Some are good and some are not so good. Prophecy is a way to speak better things to them than we would otherwise.

The trick is to recognize where our thoughts and words come from. There are three 'places' that our words can originate from; our soul, the enemy and the Holy Spirit. I've spoken from all three places and reaped the fruit of them.

Most often, speak from the realm of our emotions, opinions, thoughts, experiences, values, etc. These things lie within the realm of our soul.

When we become angry, envious, unforgiving or mistrustful it is easy for the enemy to plant thoughts in our mind. If we speak these thoughts, we speak the mind of the enemy.

But if we wait until the Holy Spirit gives us His thoughts and we speak what He says, we speak the mind of Christ.

I've spoken from my soul and found that it lacks the power to solve problems & reconcile differences. I've spoken from the mind of the enemy and found that it only makes my problems worse. I'm learning to wait for the Holy Spirit to inspire me before speaking. It's a process that takes time and patience to develop.

When talking with my wife in an area that she's struggling in, I mentally scan what I know from scripture and find an appropriately encouraging verse. (Prophecy isn't bible bashing - its intent is to encourage) Sometimes I'll mentally scan what I remember from her dream journals or past prophetic words and recite to her a promise God gave through them. I begin to speak what I remember and in a short time the Holy Spirit gives me more to say. That's one way to prophesy.

The results are quite amazing. Instead of heated arguments that push us apart, we draw closer together. At the end of the day, your spouse has been with someone who has affirmed God's promises and destiny for them.

If there is the power of life and death in the tongue, death is imparted when we speak the mind of the enemy, but life is imparted when our words carry the power of the Holy Spirit. I'd encourage you to consider waiting for the Spirit to lead you in conversations with your husband or wife.

"Pursue love, and desire spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy" (1 Cor. 14:1)



No comments:

Redefining Grace

Redefining Grace – Rob Coscia If you’re one of those I keep seeing that focuses on the negativity of cities, states, and nations, poin...